Another state to cross off my list. Let’s be clear about some facts. My eleven year old daughter does all these things by herself:
- Walks to school (daily with group, but sometimes alone)
- Walks to the park to meet friends
- Shops at the local stores
- Takes the train to the mall (mostly with friends the same age)
- Walks to the swimming pool
- Walks to cram school
- Walks to Aikido class
Yes, eleven year old children can do these things — in Japan most kids do. Parents here aren’t negligent. We don’t hate our children. We are raising them to be independent, responsible adults.
An interview with two parents who lost their kids… over nothing.