For US citizens living abroad, participating in domestic business and society can be challenging. One of the most challenging aspects can be obtaining a driver’s license in a state where you no longer reside. All states require demonstration of residency, and nearly all states mail your new or renewed driver’s license to your address on file.
The State of South Dakota caters to a subset of the US population who “travel full time” by relaxing several requirements. People who travel full time are only required to maintain a Personal Mail Box (PMB)1 service in South Dakota, and only need to provide a receipt from a local hotel, motel, or camping ground when applying for a license.2 The Driver Exam Station creates and hands over the license immediately.
For myself the process was relatively fast and smooth. I arrived approximately 8:15am and was handed a number and application form. I had to wait only 15 minutes for my number to be called, and the process of reviewing documents, taking the photo and digitized signature, and printing the card required only about 20 minutes. The following documents were required:
- Residency Affidavit
- Driver’s license application form
- Passport for proof of US citizenship3
- Social security card for proof of taxpayer status3
- One letter or postage addressed to the PMB4
Because I held a valid license from another state, the Driver Exam Station did not require either the written or driving portions of the exam.
Moreover, voter registration was relatively painless. People who travel full time using a PMB service must appear in person at the county auditor’s office. There was no line at the voter registration section and the application form required about five minutes.5 The person who verified the application only needed to check my South Dakota identification.
Less than a week later my registration has still not appeared in the online registration database. I have not yet attempted South Dakota’s absentee voting process, but I suspect it will be inferior to Oregon’s absentee ballot that I used in the last election.
- My PMB is Your Best Address, but there are several alternatives. ↩
- The receipt must contain the address of the PMB service. ↩
- Alternative documents are accepted. See the South Dakota Department of Public Safety website. ↩ ↩
- A copy of the PMB contract is would also be accepted in lieu of a letter. ↩
- The residence address is that of the hotel I stayed the prior night. The form contains a separate section for mailing address, in which I used my PMB address. ↩